Part 2 of my three part savory pie adventure.
For my filling, I adapted from a recipe on Waitakere Redneck’s Kitchen. I simply added celery and replaced the cup of either green peas or carrots to just one cup of a mix of green peas and carrots. I used a yellow onion, the size of my fist. It was probably 3/4 cups of onion. I could have definitely used more. Also, I added in just a lil bit more curry powder than the recipe called. Also, I’m baking this into a large pie instead of hand held ones.
On a side note, I’m confused to why the cook used the term redneck when she is from New Zealand…
I will put my recommendations in the edited recipe.
I tried taking a photo of all the ingredients but that didn’t work! I forgot the celery, salt, water and frozen green peas and chopped carrots. On the other hand, i do have a pretty good photo of the spices:
Thank you David for your generosity in providing your own spices to use.
Anyways, cleaning and chopping things up took a while, albeit it was very fun. But after that, i just tossed things into a saucepan in the order the recipe called.
Note to self: Prepare everything first before cooking.
I sort of wished that I had everything prepared before starting to cook. What I did instead was that I started on the onions, ginger and garlic but then had to turn off the flame and scramble for the spices, meat and potatoes. Not the best idea.
Note 2 to self: Grab a larger sauce pan when cooking fillings.
After I added the potatoes and meat, the saucepan was very very full. Potato pieces kept wanting to jump out of the pan.
Another thing I think could have gone better is that I could have chopped the potatoes into smaller pieces. When people eat this pie, they’re just gonna get a mouthful of potatoes. Haha. Whoops. I also think I put in too many potatoes. The recipe called for 2 potatoes. I think the cook should have specified in cups or something.
Things turned out pretty well in the end.
I plan to bake this into the pie tomorrow. Yay! I will edit the recipe later as well…
Beef curry Pie Filling
- 1.25 lb beef mince
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chop fine
- 3 cloves garlic, chop fine
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, chop fine
- 2 tsp chilli paste or powder
- 2 cups potato, cubed, 1 cm
- 1 cup frozen peas or diced carrot
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/4 tsp curry powder
- Chop up vegetables and potatoes into cube-like pieces of 1 cm edges.
- Heat up oil in a saucepan or pot and fry the onions, garlic, ginger and chili paste until the onions are transparent.
- Add the spices, potato and beef mince. I recommend boiling the potatoes a bit first before putting them in. Since I didn’t cut my potatoes small enough, 5 min of boiling would be enough to soften them a bit. Add the beef last.
- Add the cup of water in addition with the peas, carrots, celery and salt. Let simmer until the majority of water is absorbed or evaporated.
- Let cool.