College Service

I joined the Williams faculty in 2000 and before that taught for three years in the School of Cognitive Science at Hampshire College. I am Nuyorican, was born in Brooklyn, New York, and went to high school in Miami, Florida. As a Latino and first generation college student, I value being able to play a mentoring and advising role to students who face challenges similar to the ones I faced when I was a Williams undergraduate.

I am the current Chair of the Department of Philosophy, former Chair of the Cognitive Science Program, and former Chair of Science and Technology Studies.

My past committee service includes the Selection Committee for the Williams Oxford Program, the Committee on Educational Policy, the College Steering Committee, the Faculty Review Panel, and the Committee on Campus Space and Institutional History. I have chaired the Committee on Student Life and The Athletics Committee. For 15 years I served on the selection board for Mellon Mays and Allison Davis Research Fellows. I was a Mellon Fellow as an undergraduate.

From 2006 to 2012 I coached the Williams Cycling Team.