Safe in Pakistan

When friends hear that I’m on a math visit to Pakistan, they often say something about safety. Actually, despite heightened security, I’ve felt completely safe and at home here. The culminating experience was setting up my computer well before talks at QAU, NUST, and GCU* and finding I could leave it unattended, rarely the case in the US or anywhere else.

Incidentally, as of 2008-09, 46% of undergraduates in Pakistan are women, up from 37% in 2001-02. During this period total enrollment has more than doubled. Similarly 31% of PhD students are women, up from 20%.

*See the article by Loring Tu on the GCU “Abdus Salam School of Mathematical Sciences in Pakistan” in the August 2011 Notices of the American Mathematical Society.

5 Comments

1. Qaisar Latif:

Dr. Morgan, I hope you will convince your friends about your safety. And tell them that there is no danger as they are thinking. A few months back, Dr. Loring Tu was here in Pakistan. Before his departure, he shared some of his experience with us (i.e with students of Abdus Salam School of Mathematical Sciences Lahore). He explained the same things. For example, his friends were worried about his safety. He explained to us that he had to send emails to them regularly to tell them about his safety. Well, without being sentimental, I would rather say that Pakistani people are much co-operative and students have more interests in learning. I think it will be better if you describe your opinion about Pakistani students and especially about your safety issues. One last sentence from me. Your visit gave me a lot of information about the subject Geometric Measure Theory and the most important, you gave me a formation. Thanks for being here with us.

2. Ghulam Murtaza:

Thanks Dr. Morgan for your visit to Pakistan. I am much inspired by the way you delivered the lectures here. No doubt this will be a very sweet memory for me. You introduced Geometric theory in a very nice way. This will help me in studing the subject. Thanks again.

3. BPO/KPO Philippines:

Some actually valuable data in there. Why not hold some sort of contest for your readers?

4. ivan:

I visited Pakistan last year and felt very safe and people were very friendly. Some areas are simply amazing and lvoed the simplicity of life in some villages

5. Imran Parvez Khan:

I can’t express how great it sounds that you had a wonderful experience in Pakistan. And you found qualities here which are not to be found anywhere else!