

# WILLIAMS COLLEGE COUNCIL

## Meeting Minutes: February 3, 2016

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 8:30 PM

### I. Introduction/Approval of Minutes

**Proxies:**

Ariel for Ava

**Guests:**

Ryan from the *Record*

Motion to Approve Last Week's Minutes		
Motion By:	Allegra	
Seconded	Josemaria	
20	0	0

### II. Budgets

Victoria: Elizabeth Dunoff came in individually for a Jewish event in New York City. We asked if she went to WCJA and they said they wanted to focus their funding on the 25th anniversary of WCJA. She hasn't secured funding from other sources because she is still on the waitlist but if not by Wednesday we can try to secure funding.

Anime Club is also going to Boston conference and had a big group of 19 going, which was bigger than their previous subgroup request for 7. That came out to \$1800, so we may recommend they limit their numbers in the future.

Law Society needed website funding, so we approved theirs in full.

Magic the Gathering is going to their Grand Prix in Boston, they got recommended in full for \$420.

Eminence requested \$105 for photographers that had worked for their magazine.

Shamsie: Do the anime people usually stay at hotels?

Victoria: Yes.

Web: Not sure about the policy regarding us letting Eminence charge for photography, that seems like an integral part of the group that maybe they should incorporate into their own operating costs.

Ben: Froco pays Photo Club to take photos, is that similar?

Motion to Approve \$2236 Budget In Full		
Motion By:	Alyssa	
Seconded	Allegra	
19	0	1

allegra: i think we should discuss with ace regarding their budget, it seems like they requested excessive money considering they cut first fridays events.

victoria: yes, we're meeting with ace and i'll get more information.

### III. SOC Updates

Web: Nothing from SOC this week.

### IV. VP for Communications Proposal

Michael: *Presents constitutional amendment document.*

Allegra: What if we made vp of ops do communications but then made a parliamentarian?

Josemaria: What is a parliamentarian?

Web: They would streamline meetings through having rules of discourse and enforce the rules while VP of Ops does larger projects or organizational stuff.

Alyssa: Wouldn't this be a constitutional amendment?

Ben: Was the assistant treasurer position also an amendment?

Alyssa: That's probably a good idea.

Ben: We could also use this to reconsider other possible amendments.

Ned: What if CCCT took some of the duties of VP of Ops?

Web: What if it was just the job of the exec board to do that?

Allegra: I think making the parliamentarian really know the rules would improve quality of debate and meeting as well.

Michelle: I think we should definitely formalize CCCT as well.

Grant: VP of Ops may make more sense as opposed to “parliamentarian,” that could be a confusing term.

Marcus: Who wants to be involved in helping?

[Web, Allegra, Josemaria, Victoria, Ben]

## **V. Claiming Williams Day**

Marcus: Everyone should send out emails or Facebook post to get as much turnout for Claiming Williams day events as possible. there are a lot of people who don't go, but this is really about making Williams a better place and I'd love to get as many people out and engaging in conversations as much as possible.

## **VI. Night with CC/Town Hall**

Marcus: We should solidify a date for Night with CC, what days are good?

Alyssa: Thursday? It's near the end of the week.

Marcus: It'll be town hall style, and great marketing as well.

Allegra: Should it be in goodrich?

Marcus: The eighteenth or the 11th?

Allegra: Winter Carnival is the eighteenth.

Marcus: Who will book at baxter?

Elizabeth: Me.

Michelle: Around 7-9 pm, and the first hour can be less formal?

Josmaria: What if we do it in the 62 Center?

Grant: Maybe we open a tab at goodrich?

Tyrone: What about 8-10 PM?

Allegra: Are we setting it up like we did for the debate?

Marcus: I don't love the idea of a stage.

Alyssa: We should make it more equal and informal, that will make people feel comfortable so they're really open to discussion.

Elizabeth: This would be great to really see what the community wants out of college council rather than presenting specific viewpoints of candidates.

Marcus: Ok, so we'll do this through daily messages, Facebook posts, active spreading the word. We need to really use this new website and the comments section in there.

Alyssa: What if we make this more like an open meeting that everyone can watch in baxter?

Katherine: i'm not sure people would want to really watch us go back and forth.

Ben: What if we did an hour in Hopkins and an hour in Paresky?

Alyssa: What if we did an hour in Hopkins and two hours in Paresky?

Ned: What if we switch Thursday and Wednesday?

Josemaria: Could we do it upstairs in Paresky?

Tyrone: What about an hour here and an hour and a half there?

Victoria: Or just a half hour here?

Marcus: Ben Lamb wanted to come in next week and Max Harmon also, but we may need to push max to the week following if we don't have too much time.

Tobias: I don't know if we can push back the beef issue, they're negotiating a three-year contract with food companies and we can't wait too long.

Web: We also should pursue a beef resolution to stake out our position.

Michelle: what if we did the night with cc in goodrich to use some of Stressbuster's traffic?

Ben: Or we could pursue a long-term Stressbusters/Town Hall partnership.

Marcus: Let's book it for 7-10 on Wednesday the tenth. We'll keep our discussion limited here, meet with Max and Ben Lamb, then have a town hall.

## **VII.Looking Ahead to Next Term**

Marcus: This is going to be a huge watershed movement for council really for the next five years. If there's a similar voter turnout, I think people will ultimately forget about council for a long time. If you don't plan on running that's fine, but motivate other people to do so. This is an awesome responsibility and opportunity, but something I

think is very necessary and should have a presence on campus. Alumni care, and we should push this as much as possible.

## **VIII. Project Updates**

Ben: We finished the updated code of conduct, and we'd love to get that out as much as possible.

Michael: Please send material to the social media people.

Alyssa: we'll be having a forum from 4-5 and 8-9 PM and another meeting on February 17 regarding Bronfman plans, so if you're planning on coming please let me know.

Victoria: The treasurer powerpoint is coming together.

Shamsie: I'm trying to put together a referendum/poll to get ideas on where people want the possible mindfulness room.

Marcus: Maybe do that through daily messages and the website?

Ben: If anyone has security requests, please let me know.

Allegra: Can we pursue the texting CSS option?

Ben: I'll look into it.

Victoria: What about Park Street, did they look into the lighting there?

Ben: Update on the lighting projects is delayed due to facilities approval, but we're meeting to try to find the time to do what we did before and walk around.

Marcus: It's time to ramp up our efforts. It's still early in the semester, and we want to be able to tell people we accomplished things in the town hall.

## **IX. Open Time**

*New Office Hours:*

Victoria/Alyssa: 8:30-9:30 in Paresky 220.

Victoria: We should pursue a follow-up with Marche.

Michelle: Also, a retirement home reached out to see if we could make valentine's for them, we can sign those next week.

**MEETING ADJOURNED: 9:30 PM**